Thursday, August 16, 2012

What can I do?

It's  been a minute since I've blogged,  I've been involved in project after project at work, trying to put together ideas and content for a new website, and just returning from a much needed vacation. That being said, I needed a break from the blogging world. If you're not careful you can become a slave to it. This week I'm taking something I learned from the corporate world. It's a strategy that's easy to apply and one that will brighten your future and propel you forward through the daily grind, no matter what industry you're in or what your job title is. It's all about personal accountability.

If you're honest, you'll have to admit that you go through trials throughout your day, much of which involve co-workers and family that can frustrate you. If not there, how about the workplace in general? How about folks in church? Or do you you always have a happy go lucky attitude all the time towards everyone? The trials I'm speaking of are those that give us the opportunity to blame others, complain, and procrastinate. Luckily this blog doesn't apply to me because I'm perfect all the time and I have never once complained. Enjoy!

"When will that department do it's job right? When will they communicate better? Who dropped the ball? Why can't we find better people? Who's going to give us a clear vision? Who's going to solve the problem? Doesn't anyone know what's going on? Why don't others work harder?" These questions are innocent enough, but they indicate a lack of personal accountability, and go right to the heart of many problems we have today. They sound like, "I'm a victim of my own environment and I'm powerless." Conversely, turning our thinking around and asking more personally accountable questions is one of the most powerful and effective things we can do to improve our organizations and our lives. It's simple, ask better questions of ourselves, create personal accountability.

Each day, as we journey into the unexplored wilds of our personal and professional lives, there are virtual "goatheads" lurking at every turn. Choose the wrong thought and we're off into blame, complaining, and procrastination. But the right thoughts lead us to a richer, more fulfilling life and the feelings of pride and accomplishment that come from making productive decisions. The idea that we are accountable for our own choices and are free to make better ones is fundamental to QBQ, "The question behind the question." Sometimes people think they have no choice. They'll say things like "I have to", or "I can't." But we always have a choice. Deciding not to choose is making a choice. Realizing this and taking responsibility for our choices is a big step toward making great things happen in our lives.

The QBQ is built on the observation that our first reactions are often negative, bringing to mind incorrect questions. But if in each moment of decision we can instead discipline ourselves to look behind those initial incorrect questions and ask ourselves better ones, the questions themselves will lead to better results. The answers are in the questions. If we ask ourselves better questions, we get better answers. Here are the three simple guidelines for creating a QBQ: 1. Begin with "What" or "How" (not "Why," "When," or "Who"). 2. Contain an "I" (not "they," "we," or "you"). 3. Focus on action. "What can I do?" for example. It begins with "What", contains an "I" and focuses on action.

If we don't ask what we can do or make or achieve or build, then we won't do or make or achieve or build. It's just that simple. Only through action is anything accomplished. The practice of personal accountability: We discipline our thoughts. We ask better questions. We take action. None of us has guaranteed job security, and our lack of initiative today may guarantee our unemployment tomorrow. Taking action may seem risky, but doing nothing is a bigger risk. "Its better to be one who is told to wait than one who waits to be told." So ask yourself, "What can I do today to solve the problem? How can I help move the project ahead? What action can I take to "own" the situation?" We've all heard the phrase, "True creativity is to think outside the box." Real creativity is "Succeeding inside the box." Start asking better questions of yourself, take ownership of a given situation, and watch things change for the better. (John G Miller, "QBQ")



"I waited patiently for the Lord; and He inclined to me, and heard my cry. He also brought me up out of a horrible pit, out of the miry clay, And set my feet upon a rock, and established my steps. He has put a new song in my mouth--Praise to our God; many will see it and fear, and will trust in the Lord." -Psalm 40:1-3










No comments:

Post a Comment